Wednesday, January 25, 2017

On to St. Augustine - Day Five - January 20, 2017

Packing Up.
Inauguration Day. We debated whether to stay at Tom and Debbie's house to watch the Inauguration, but the road was calling and we wanted to arrive in St. Augustine before sunset, so around 10 in the morning we packed the little Subaru and hit the road.  Saying good-bye was a sad moment but we know we will see these guys again soon as we enjoy their company immensely. Once on the road we settled into the routine, and soon found the Inauguration broadcast on the XM radio. In a burst of clear thinking (which seem to be rare these days) I found a live video feed the Inaugural ceremonies on my phone so Carol was able to watch as we rolled down the highway, and again we stopped at a roadside Walmart and watched our new President's speech. . . and then of course a bit of shopping - we seemed to be one new blouse short. Moving again with the road slipping away behind us we continued to watch and listen (Carol watched - I listened) to the speeches, parades and festivities back in Washington, all the while marveling at the technology that gives us this ability. The hours melted away and soon we were through Georgia and into Florida and we watched the temperature rise on the dash thermometer. It was 84ยบ when we rolled onto St. Augustine and the clam voice of the GPS took us right to the door of the the beach side motel. Ah, first floor with a balcony overlooking the the Atlantic and miles of sandy beach. After checking in I headed right out the door with my drone in hand to see if I could
View from the room
capture the sunset. Carol got settled and snapped the picture you see here on the left. If you look closely you can see the old guy in the parking lot fiddling with his drone. I had a couple of good flights, but as I mentioned in the last post I am still learning. The footage I took that evening was not nearly as good as the footage I got the next morning.
Patriot Fans Here
After the drone flight, Carol and I took a walk to explore and saw some of the local nightlife and some pretty nice homes, and as it happens ended up at a Publix (Florida grocery store) which not only sold ice cream but had spoons too! We ate our treats as we wandered back to the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment